Serves 2 – 4
- 1kg Butternut, peeled and diced
- 2 medium Carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 Gem squash, halved, seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp Canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic, crushed
- 2l Water, boiling
- 3 tsp. Stock, powder, chicken
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- 2 – 4 Tbsp. Cream, fresh
- 1 packet Bacon, lean, diced
- 4 Tbsp. Pumpkin seeds, roasted
- 1/2 cup Croutons
- Heat oil in large pot, add garlic, butternut and carrots and saute. Put lid on and let steam for 5minutes. In a separate pot, boilwater and add gem squash – cook until soft
- Mix boiling water and stock and add to vegetables until covered. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer covered for 30 minutes, mixing occasionally. Add squash, cinnamon and cumin and mix well. Puree until smooth – I used a hand blender.
- Dish up into soup bowls – add tablespoon of cream and finish of with garnish of choice.
- Something Meaty: bake diced bacon in oven until crispy – add on top of soup
- Vegetarian: add 1 – 2 Tbsp roasted pumpkin seeds
- Crispy: add 1 – 2 Tbsp croutons
- Works well as leftovers the next day
- Perfect consistency for babies – soup can also be frozen in ice cube trays for baby for an easy and quick meal later
Please share this post via .